Wednesday, March 9, 2011

REDnesday - Sunshine & Shadow Throw Finished

Sunshine & Shadow Throw

Pattern by Melody Griffiths

I finished my Sunshine & Shadow Throw yesterday.  

Of course, it is total overcast, gray and dark out today so I tried my best to get some decent photos.

I first blogged about this throw (here) and (here).

Joining squares as I go but before all the squares are sewn down.

The aqua color in the third round was replaced with soft green (lime).

That was fun cutting out the aqua squares and crocheting the lime colored ones back in (HA - NOT!)

Stitch in border and edging is just double crochet.

Lime colored squares are in place now.


There is a huge RED square in each border corner!




I followed the pattern....for once I didn't "wing" any of it.





Each of the squares was "joined as you go" in each corner...when all the squares were done I had to sew all the squares together in order for it to lie completely flat.  And the pattern tells you to do this.




It has some weight to it...so it should be a warm throw.

I sew my ends in as I go because I can't stand to have a million ends to do at the end of a project.


Size:  48 inches by 48 inches

17 granny squares by 17 = 289 total squares in the diamond center.


I just love the diamond pattern and the bright colors! 

I used Loops & Threads Silky Soft Worsted acrylic yarn and an H hook.

Colors used each diamond round starting in middle:  
Black
Red
Soft Green (Lime)
Red
Black
Magenta (red-purple)
Lavender
Magenta (red-purple)
Black
Perfect Blue
Soft Blue
Perfect Blue
Black
Passion (Deep Purple)
Soft Green (Lime)
Passion (Deep Purple)
Black

Colors used in Border:
Black
Orchid (Dark Purple)
4 squares in Red

Edging:
Black


There are more REDs to enjoy with our host, Sue, at 

It's A Very Cherry World


for REDnesday!

And join me for:


Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday

Cielo at The House in the Roses for Show of Your Cottage Monday




13 comments:

  1. It's just lovely! I have the same book and love this blanket too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really came out beautifully. I love all the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy, it is so pretty. I really like the colors!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. The part that gets me is that it's so organized. That alone was work. Looks great. Oh, and by the way, I finally get the join-as-you go with the flowers. So, I'm off and running wild in my mind with new ideas.

    Nice job,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful project. Your afghans turn out so well. Great colours too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love all the colors you used, looks like a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy, it turned out beautiful! I can't believe you're done already, but you're probably thinking it took forever, right?!I just love the colors that you used, and that purple just sets it all off to perfection.It's a real work of art!
    Happy REDnesday!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well , I don't know what happened to my comment.

    But your throw looks lovely~
    Like you, I sew the ends as I go ...don't like tucking at the end.
    It looks much larger than a 'throw' sized blanket, and it does look like it will keep you warm. Enjoy!
    blessings
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowee! That turned out so great. It looks wonderful. AND it looks like a lot of hard work. Great job, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful throw, the color combination is amazing, you have a very good eye for that.;) Absolutely beautiful.;)
    Have a lovely day dear Sandy,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning. I'd love that design as a rug.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning! What a fantastic design.

    ReplyDelete