Monday, July 11, 2011

How Do You Like My Candy Cane?

I'm in love with RED and WHITE!


OK...it's not a real Candy Cane that you can eat!

For over a year I have been anxious ~ OK obsessing ~ to try a red and white ripple throw. 

I thought I would keep using Lucy at Attic24's "Easy Ripple" pattern but then I bought a new book on ripple stitches...Jan Easton's "Ripple Stitch Patterns".   

I love this book.  

All the patterns on the left page sides of the book are for knitting and the ones on the right page sides are for crocheting.  I don't knit, at this time, but I wouldn't minded trying some of the knit patterns some day.  The only thing the book doesn't have are stitch diagrams which I like to have in addition to the stitch pattern description written out.   I like the photo sample of each stitch and there is even an alternate look for each stitch.    

This stitch pattern is called "Storm Clouds" and I agree with Jan that it seems as if it is inspired by the groups of double crochet stitches that make up a traditional granny square.  

This ripple stitch is called "Storm Clouds".

I'm having fun working out the color pattern as I stitch.  

Probably most crocheters plan out their color arrangement in advance but I don't.  

I just wing it as I go along.  

That's the fun of it...seeing it come to life.  

It's amazing to see the strikingly different color patterns one can achieve by alternating the red and white yarn.

My color pattern of red and white...so far.


This pattern stitch, Storm Clouds, is very easy to do.   

I had it memorized immediately. 

The only problem I had was at the edges of the rows.  I noticed after crocheting the first two bands of red and white that my edges weren't straight.  But I kept on crocheting thinking praying they would work out in the end.  

Finally I realized, no, duh, they wouldn't work out and I wouldn't be happy with uneven edges...particularly after all that work.  

So I cut one end and tried to fix it.  

That didn't work so I had to frog two rows back where I cut the yarn.  

After staring at the edges for a while I figured out how to frog them back to where they all lined up and were straight.  It took a little work but it was worth it in the end.

If I had paid attention to my edges at the beginning I probably wouldn't have had this problem at all.

I highly recommend Jan Eaton's book!

It's a Work In Progress!

I love the "Granny Square" look to this stitch pattern.   

I'm already thinking about the next Christmas ripple throw in red, white and lime green.  There's another stitch pattern in Jan's book called "Granny Chevons" that I'm drooling over.  Actually there are so many of her patterns I'm crazy about it's hard to choose just one.  

Do you like my "Candy Cane"?


This is a good post for this week's REDnesday.

And there are more REDs to enjoy with our host, Sue, at 

It's A Very Cherry World


for REDnesday!


Many thanks to all my readers for taking the time to visit me...I'm still amazed that anyone wants to read my little blog.  

Have a Happy Monday!


22 comments:

  1. Yes, I LOVE your candy cane! Red and white always looks so clean. I've had that pattern marked in that book for a long time. I just can't get to everything I want to do!

    This one is beautiful. Your Christmas one sound interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT! The granny ripple is one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your candy cane throw. I think that is a beautiful stitch. You are well on your way to another finished project. xo,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes! I do love your Candy Cane! Its absolutely stunning, well done to you!
    Beautiful work, thanks for sharing!
    Hugs suex

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, Sandy! Kinda has a cross-stitch effect when you're looking at it from a distance. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your red and white candy cane, so effective. Oh no, not another book...........
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Sandy,
    I do love your candy cane ripple throw, very much...
    I'm a red girl too, so this pattern just delights me..It really is pretty!!!
    I will have to pick this pattern book up. I have not crocheted in a while since I have been hooked on sewing quilts.
    Have a sweet day and hugs, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the red and white!
    I wasn't thinking candy cane, but patriotic for this time of year.
    But... if you say Candy Cane... I think it looks delicious!
    and... I don't comment as often, but I still love reading your 'little blog'...{smile} Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy love your candy cane. You are like me wanting the edges to be even, cathy (ed4448a0

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Candy Cane, it's gorgeous. So Christmassy!

    Aren't we crafters funny. We are all starting our Christmas stuff now, aren't we? If not for dressing up our homes, then for gifts. I'm on a couple of non-crafting boards where the members are fussing that everybody puts out Christmas too soon, but personally, I'm already checking out what Hobby Lobby is putting out, and buying my Christmas yarn. My next afghan/throw will be a Christmas Ripple, I think. No, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I love it. Red and white is a real winner. Well done you clever girl!!
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I DO like your candy cane! Beautiful work! You look like an expert stitcher!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness ... it is gorgeous. I'm drooling! I need one just like it, hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd say you got off to a GREAT start!

    GIVE ME RED RIBBON

    Give me red ribbon to tie in my hair,
    Not yellow or purple or green;
    But burgundy, chestnut, carmine or rose—
    These are the colors with sheen!

    Give me red ribbon to tie in my hair,
    Not saffron or opal or blue;
    But fuchsia, magenta, ruby or blush—
    Something of sanguinous hue!

    Give me red ribbon to tie in my hair,
    Not indigo, azure or grey;
    But scarlet, vermilion, dahlia or pink—
    Colors like these make my day!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Narrow Red Alley

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this is so beautiful. I would really like to learn to do this - I can crochet only a tiny bit. Maybe my mother could help me, she can crochet beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found the book to be a bit overwhelming. After seeing your wonderful candy cane, maybe I can attempt the cloud stitch one after all. Your stripes are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the red and white, it is gorgeous! You are very talented, I never could learn (impatience got me down) but I so admire people who do crochet or knit. You could sell these on Etsy ... we could buy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I first saw it on Flickr Sandy, and I fell in love! It's so beautiful, and you do such nice work. Can't wait to see it all finished!
    Happy REDnesday,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  19. What size needle did you use to make Candy Cane? So beautiful, it's all I can think about!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this and would live to make it I practiced the storm cloud stitch . Would it be possible to get the entire pattern .

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this and would live to make it I practiced the storm cloud stitch . Would it be possible to get the entire pattern .

    ReplyDelete