Thursday, January 12, 2012

Birds Feeding...for Decades!

The stunning Cardinal

While putting away some Christmas linens in our closet I found an old embroidery crewel I never finished.  

I bought this crewel project in 1980 (...yes, I admit it... that's 1980...probably before most of you were even born!) - it's entitled "Birds Feeding" designed by Linda K. Powell.

I love birds.

I love to watch them.  

We've had a birdbath and feeder at our first two homes for the birds.  However, at our current house, we decided to just have the birdbath and no feeders - mainly due to the mess the birds make when feeding and our not wanting to attract any more mice to our home.

Two Titmice

Someday this will be a Grosbeak - see the bird seed!

I love the flower vines going up the post.
    
I remember this Blue Jay being hard for me to embroidery while the Cardinal wasn't difficult at all.


The unfinished work!

In addition to the Grosbeak there is a Towhee, Purple Finch, Woodpecker and Chickadee left to embroider.  Oh, boy...I have my work cut out for me!

I have too many hobbies and things I want to do and not enough time to do everything.   Yep, I'm complaining...here I am retired and still can't do all that I want to do. 

I've been so busy with Christmas...and then reading my new books, watching our new DVDs and playing with our new iPhones... and (sob!) I have hardly touch my crochet hook and yarn.  

And then I find this!  

I so want to finish it.  

Before it rots. 

Wish me luck!



Join me for:

Cindy's Show & Tell Friday

8 comments:

  1. Awwww.... It is so pretty! I call these my UFO'S (Unfinished Objects) LOL!!
    We feed the birds too & our BOYZ just love it!!
    Have a Wonderful Day!!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I don't know how I got anything done when I was working. Guess I had 1) better time management, 2) a lot more energy! When I moved the first time I had bags of wool, needlepoint, etc. I sold them at a yard sale. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is beautiful so far, Sandy! You will be so happy when you finish this. It's really a nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I meant to tell you...I am making that Dawn & vinegar mix that we saw on Pinterest to clean the shower glass and faucets. I know you said you had used it. I'm also making the laundry detergent. I have no idea why I want to make all this homemade stuff all of the sudden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty!! Good luck with it, and can't wait to see the finished product!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You simply must finish it! Grandmother did a similar one in cross-stitch, and I love it. Just think how proud you will be when you can hang it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the birds feeding...please post a photo of it when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh 1980 I remember it well. My son graduated from HS and went to college and I went with him for several years. People there thought we were a married couple as we had the same last name.
    I think you should finish this really beautiful work you started, should not take you too long. In between this and other hobbies get on the treadmill or stationary bike. At the gym I can read my Kindle on the machines. For the last two days We've been rather snowed in here and I'm missing 3 gym days this week so far, one blizzard after another. Tomorrow is another day!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete