Monday, January 2, 2012

My Mom's Chocolate Pie



Come along with me...

 I'm sharing our family recipe for Chocolate Pie!  

My Mom loved chocolate and her Chocolate Pie was our favorite dessert as kids and still is as adults. 

 Well, it's a favorite dessert for me, my brothers and my Mom.  

Believe it or not, my Dad didn't care for chocolate (?) so my Mom made him a mincemeat pie instead (ugh..we never touched it!)  

I always thought it was strange that my Dad didn't care for chocolate pie since this recipe was passed down from his Mom. 

Simple ingredients and easy as "pie" to make.

First step is to bake the pie crust according to the box directions.
  
One of these days I will make my own pie crust again but usually I'm lazy and just purchase a Pillsbury Ready Made Crust. 

Yea, I know this crust is sorry looking.  

I tried to not stretch the dough but I failed miserably and the sides collapsed while baking.  

No big deal though... because the filling and meringue will hide it and it will still taste good.  


The simple ingredients - eggs, sugar, Hershey's cocoa, flour, milk (I use skim) and vanilla.

I use a double boiler to mix and then cook the chocolate filling.

My Mom's Original Hand Written Recipe for Chocolate Pie
Top of Page
(bottom recipe is for Pinapple Upside Down Cake)




Take three eggs and save the whites from two of the eggs for the meringue...



Beat the eggs... 



Add sugar gradually...



Mix in the Hershey's cocoa...



Mix in the flour...


Mix in the milk...

in the double boiler heat the water until boiling and then turn down to medium and cook until mixture is thickened (usually 25 to 30 minutes)...

(I hate to stand so I grab a high chair - set it next to the stove - sit down and play games on my iPhone while stirring the filling once in awhile...)



Once filling is thickened remove the pan from the heat and cool the mixture and add the vanilla as the last step...


Pour mixture into the baked pie crust.

Now for the meringue!

I like lots of high meringue so I use more than three egg whites.

For this pie I used five egg whites.



My meringue recipe...

My Mom only used the two saved egg whites and she beat the egg whites by hand.  

Too much work for me.  

I use the mixer.

Egg whites, sugar and a dash of salt 


The ingredients...egg whites, sugar and a dash of salt...



Whip the egg whites on high until nice peaks then gradually beat in sugar...



Pile the meringue over the filling sealing the edges...


Bake until the top is evenly browned...

Mom's Chocolate Pie

It's rich but oh, so good!

My brother made one for us for dinner on Christmas Eve and I made this one for our New Year's Eve.

Only one piece left now....sob!

Hope you try it - you won't be disappointed!

I'm joining:  







5 comments:

  1. Sandy, this looks so luscious, I am saving this recipe. I plan on having friends for dinner in the next month or so and this is dessert! I am also going to try the pineapple upside down cake. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM, Sandy! Thanks for sharing your mom's recipe. I love seeing old handwritten recipes. It's so fun to find them in old library books or books at garage sales. My hubby and boys love a homemade chocolate pie. I'm usually lazy and just make the cook & serve pudding mix or even instant pudding mix. The shame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My DH would love that chocolate pie whilst I'd prefer the 'tartness' of a lemon meringue (haven't made one of those for years!). Lovely to see old recipes handwritten, I've still got some of my Nan's.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a pie! Love that mountain of meringue. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your pie up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogpsot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.html

    ReplyDelete