Monday, August 19, 2013

Squares Matched & Border Added


I'm still working on my Winter/Christmas Red Work Table Runner.

Let me tell you it's not easy to sew squares together so all corners match perfectly!


Some squares I fussed with sewing and ripping out several times. 


Until finally I said "That's enough...  

I can live with this". 


Next I added a two and 1/2 inch border in the same fabric as the other side of the table runner.  


Yesterday I cut out the backing and lightly sprayed adhesive to the polyester batting and backing. 


I decided to go to my sewing store today and buy the new Janome 12000 "stitch in the ditch" specialty foot advertised recently on the Janome website.

(Sorry!  If you are not a sewer you probably aren't interested in these details.) 




Hopefully that will help keep my quilt lines straight when top stitching my quilt layers together.  

I drove over to my Janome sewing store this morning and decided to buy some cotton batting in addition to the new Janome "stitch in the ditch" foot. 

I read that polyester batting can melt at high temperatures.  Since I plan to iron this runner on a cotton setting (with steam) it seemed that a cotton batting is a better choice.

I also purchased the "stitch in the ditch" S foot.

When I returned home I realized that I wanted to buy the

  AcuFeed (duel feed) "stitch in the ditch" SD foot.

That foot works better with layers of quilting than the regular "stitch in the ditch" S foot.

So after lunch I returned to the Janome sewing store and purchased the "stitch in the ditch" SD foot.

I decided to keep the "stitch in the ditch" S foot as I think it can be used with all decorative stitches.

I'm still learning about this quilting/embroidery machine.

And many of these functions are new to me...like this "AcuFeed" function (lots of videos here).

And I've never had a specialty foot for "stitching in the ditch" either.    

Now I have to replace the polyester batting with the cotton batting and then I will be ready to start actually quilting the top of the runner.

Did I ever mention that I am a slow crocheter...well, I'm also a slow sewer.

This project could go on forever.

I hope I'm not boring you.


At this rate, I doubt I will ever sew a bed size quilt!

LOL !

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy! You runner is looking great! I've never heard of that kind of of sewing foot but I'm sure it will be so useful. I've been doing some sewing and crocheting too. My second grandbaby is coming into this world in October.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's coming along beautifully.

    I can never understand how I can cut the squares the same size and they never line up exact.

    You will be turning out quilts before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you could get that machine on your RV and sew down to Disney, I bet you can make a bed size quilt. Maybe that will be your challenge for 2014! xo

    ReplyDelete